Sunday, September 13, 2009

Thanksgiving Advent Calendar



I created this Thanksgiving Advent Calendar for a sewing swap on two peas. It is made of felt, muslin, stazon, and number stamps. It was time consuming but the final product was worth it. I first cut the squares out of fall colored felt. The squares are approximately 2 1/2 by 3. Then I stamped the numbers with stazon onto muslin. After that I cut the numbers out and sewed a leaf on each square. Then I zigzag stitched the numbers on the felt pockets. I laid out the felt pockets on the background and pinned them in place. Then I sewed and sewed and sewed until all the pockets were secure. Lastly I handcut the title and sewed it onto the background. Then I cut out a backing piece and rod pockets for the top. Since I was using felt I did not have to turn right sides together to put on the backing. I just sewed around the permimeter and placed the rod pockets in at the top.

I plan on using my calendar for thankful activities. For instance, one day I might say....We are thankful for our grandparents...Give them a call today and tell them you love them.

No comments: